Thursday, February 14, 2013

For the love of CUPCAKES.....


I'm pretty sure that most of you know that I LOVE baking cupcakes.  They are just so stinkin cute and little and just the right serving size.  Don't get me wrong, I've made my fair share of cakes...but my preference is cupcakes.  Let's face it, they're easier!  It's funny how cupcakes seem to be "all the rage" now...just about every town now has a cupcake shop or two or three or four....  Madi and I love to go and check these places out. I recently had lunch with my mom at Daisy Cakes in Durham...I was impressed.  Madi on the other hand was not...she's a hard critic ( I think she might be a food critic one day).  I bought her a red velvet cupcake to try, which is her favorite.  My mom and I tried a maple bacon cupcake and it was great!  Madi said the cupcakes tasted like muffins and I have to agree that after she made that comment, it did taste somewhat like a muffin.  I appreciated the fact that they were not overly sweet.  Trust me, the icing had plenty of sugar to make up for the muffin/cupcake.  It was obvious that they use fresh/wholesome ingredients.  A big issue that we have is dryness...who wants a dry cupcake, yuck!  DaisyCakes had the moist factor..I'd go back!  They also serve sandwiches and some breakfast stuff...you should try it!  Here's the website if you want to check it out:
www.eatdaisycakes.com   OK...back to my cupcakes..
Because I have this obsession love of baking cupcakes, I take joy in rushing to sign up to bring these for parties at Madi's school! I know, I'm a tad bit CRAZY!  Madi's at a new school this year and when we were at open house, they had a sign up sheet for all the holiday parties for the year. I was thinking " this is great, I'll get to bake LOTS of cupcakes"!  I thought I was signing up to attend the party and you know..bring my cupcakes. Because I'm over zealous and me being me...I signed my name and/or Greg's name by every party! I quickly found out why not many parents were signed up! You're not really signing up to "attend" the party, but rather you are coordinating and planning the party with the other parents that might of signed up for that day. The days are over where the teacher would send home a little sign up sheet for cupcakes, chips, drink, and paper products.   Let's just say they go ALL out and for Thanksgiving we had a full blown meal! I took green beans, butter beans, corn, and corn muffins...NO CUPCAKES! The joke was totally on me!  I think the party was for the staff and not the students!  Luckily at Christmas we ordered pizza!
 Valentine's Day has arrived and guess what...I made CUPCAKES!!  Madi wanted to help and I told her to get out the kitchen, that was my "therapy" time! Maybe that's why I like baking cupcakes, it's therapeutic! OK..don't feel sorry for Madi, I let her help with the sprinkles! Even though I'm a little OCD about the way I think they should look!  I really should have baked cupcakes AFTER the kids went to bed, but there was a very IMPORTANT ball game coming on at 9pm and we had to "get er done".  NO COMMENTS ALLOWED ABOUT THE GAME.....if you want to talk about that, start your own blog! Love ya, mean it! Now to the good stuff!  My niece Katie is in town visiting, so she got to enjoy Madi's Valentine party at school today...fun times!!




Just a little taste!!



My two sweet girls that were fine till...

this one came along!










Will couldn't understand why Katie was so upset...maybe because he was JUMPING and BOUNCING on her!! Mother Hen Madi saved the day!  After all this excitement, it was time for a bath!
He is so mischievous...I could eat him....a few sprinkles on top and he'd be GONE!
The Party at school was fun, but you could tell that the kids had been eating sugar all day! Madi's class had a fun day. They watched movies, played games and snacked!  Double fun watching them devour the cupcakes!

YUMMMM!!
 

what shall I eat first??









And then there was the sugar CRASH...minus Katie b/c she keeps on going...
Off to chase the little one's b/c I just heard Katie say " Will, you wanna play dog?" I hear the dog leash and I'm sure Will is hooked up by now!
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

Off to the beach for a little R & R, I'll be back on Tuesday for a Big ol' weekend post!
Till next Time... Kyla

1 comment:

  1. Kyla,
    So glad to be keeping up with you and your family via your blog. Your cupcakes are as adorable as you! And of course the kids are precious! You are amazing. I don't know how you do it all. Can't wait for the next chapter. Keep up the great work! Love and Hugs, Aunt Twy

    ReplyDelete